Unsurprisingly, there was a lot of corrosion on the rear mudguard fixings and brackets.
|Drilling out remains of ally rivets that |
hold a rubber gator to the mudguard
|Coolant expansion tank with failed|
rivets on a metal bracket that holds it to
the rear mudguard. Outer holes have captive nuts
for expansion tank bolts.
A rubber gator bridges between the forward edge of the mudguard and swinging arm. It is riveted to the mudguard through a metal plate, and to the swingarm via another metal plate. All the rivets were heavily corroded, their aluminium heads basically dissolved.
|Grommets and rusty spacers|
I gave everything a good scrub up and derusted the spacers prior to repainting. The metal brackets were not worth saving. I made up replacements from 3mm aluminium plate.
The bracket for the expansion tank was very simple - just a strip with four holes in it. I decided to cut M6 threads in the outer two to accept the bolts for the expansion tank and to use lock nuts for strength.
The lower bracket for the gator was a bit more involved. It has an S shape profile, with three 5mm holes for rivets uppermost and two 8mm in protruding lugs on its lower edge for bolting to the swing arm.
|Two aluminium plates to replace failed steel items - top|
bracket in picture is for expansion tank, bottom for lower
edge of rubber gator.
|Lower bracket for standard gator plus additional gator|
in place on swing arm, VA2 dome nuts gleaming away.
|Re-riveting the lower edge of the standard gator |
to the replacement aluminium lower bracket,
and preparing to do the same to its upper bracket
|Expansion tank refixed to the mudguard, gator riveted on ...|
|... wiggled into place beneath rear frame rails for bolting up.|
|Bungees helped hold up the mudguard whilst I located the|
M6 bolts and mushroom spacers.