Thursday, March 1, 2012

Swingarm repair and shiny new parts

The swinging arm has returned. It has been repaired with aluminium welds filling two nasty grooves near the rear right-hand wheel adjuster.  I shall tidy them up a little, give it a light polish and then call it job done.

Lings, aka World of Triumph, has an online parts catalogue for the early Trophy models. This is a great resource because it includes exploded diagrams - very helpful for seeing how all the components are supposed to fit together. Replacement parts for the rear suspension are pictured below, including drag link needle roller bearings and seals, and collars for the top drop link bolts.


I also ordered up the last of the parts I think I'll need to complete the rebuild, in the hope of saving some postage money. Prior experience suggests this is wishful thinking - there's nearly always something that crops up when it comes to reassembly - but there you are.


From top left in the image above, they include:
  • a couple of mirror spacer pads (these set the mirror arm at a better angle than if they are just bolted straight to the fairing, as well as protecting the paintwork on the fairing)
  • two bushes for the gear and rear brake pedals to eliminate slack in the movement
  • two needle roller bearings for the rear suspension drag link
  • five grease nipple covers
  • two fork seal retaining rings - mine are corroded though I've yet to strip the forks I've got these in anticipation
  • two rear axel bolt retaining rings - missing on my bike
  • two seals for the drag link bearings
  • a couple of plugs for the handlebars because one of mine had snapped at some point and was poxily glued back
  • a rear brake pad spring - mine is split in two, brakes being the other main job on the list of things yet to fix 
  • (in the centre of the image) four collars for the bolts that hold the top of the rear suspension drop links to the swinging arm

6 comments:

bostik said...

I need one of those mirrors mounting plates too. I forgot. Doh!

What you going to do with the swinger? Polish or paint?

LeT said...

The mirror pads are simple bits of plastic but do help I think. I'm sure I'll have forgotten something else too.

I'll do some painting on the worst areas but I'll polish the rest with Autosol Solvol. It won't be anything like a perfect finish but I'm thinking the patina will be fine. Depends how it looks to me afterwards I guess.

If I get some time this week end I'll try to replace the drag link bearings. I'm planning on heating the casting with a hot air gun and then drifting out the old bearings with a long bar.

bostik said...

If it's any help I just removed my drag link bearings with a diy bearing press; two sockets and a vice!

LeT said...

Did you push both out together then? I was thinking it wouldn't be possible - I guess it is. Reassembly is the reverse procedure, per Haynes legendary phrase?

I didn't get any work done on mine this weekend - I'd got some chores done on Saturday and then a horrible cold I'd contracted last Wednesday turned really nasty - 36 hours of fever. So I was off work today too. I'm through it now though feeling wobbly. I'll probably go back to work tomorrow afternoon.

bostik said...

I did the drop links so there was only one bearing to push out. For the drag link I'd be tempted to drown it in penetrating fluid, heat up the casting as much as possible then attempt to push both bearings out one side in a one go. Putting the new bearings back in I'd put one in from one side and put the other in from the other side.

Hope you're feeling better. There do seem to be a lot of horrible colds going round at the moment. A colleague and family were completely floored over the weekend.

I didn't get anything done at the weekend either but for much better reasons. I was away pod camping with the boys down in Ullswater. Much fun but not much in the way of temperature; woke up to an inch of snow on Sunday. Brrrrrr.

LeT said...

I'm a believer in heat. For removing wheel bearings, I normally slowly pour a full kettle of boiling water around the hub and then the bearings come out with minimal thumping. I'm going to use my relatively new hot air blower for this though.

What is pod camping? It feels pretty cold here again now though nothing like snow. My thermometer was varying between 3 and 7 degrees on the way in to work today.

cheers