Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Radiation

I had decided to fit a radiator from a later model Trophy 1200 because they are quite a bit wider and my bike had been running very hot before I took it apart. The 1991 models were all fitted with identical radiators, from the 750 Tridents through the 1200 Trophy. I'm guessing that hot running had been an issue with the early bikes because from some time in 1992, as far as I can tell, the 1200s were fitted with a version that is about 5cm/2" wider.

Rusty steel radiator guard

I got a second hand radiator from a 1999 model. It came complete with fan and stone guard, both formed in plastic rather than steel as in the 1991 versions. My original radiator guard and fan housing were pretty rusty but I have more confidence in the finer mesh of the original guard than the plastic version.
Wider radiator with fan, plastic stone guard and aluminium grill
So I bought some gold anodized aluminium mesh from Homebase and cut it to size so that the plastic guard would hold it in place.
1999 radiator reassembled Radiator reassembled, showing plastic bodied fan

I decided to fit braided sleeving to all the hoses. I could pretend there's a functional reason for doing this but it's basically a cosmetic decision. The hoses on these engines are not pretty. I've either achieved a better blend to the look of it with the braiding or just drawn attention to it. You decide. I like it anyway.
Cooling hoses with braided sleeving

I'd checked that the thermostat was working properly before installing the top hose. I bought a jam thermometer to do this, heating a pan of water up with the thermostat immersed. The thermostat is marked '83' and it opened at about that temperature, according to the thermometer. So all's good there.
Checking operation of thermostat with a jam thermometer Thermostat fits into radiator top hose Totally unnecessary polishing - 83 marked at the tip, 07 91 (July 1991) on the body

The radiator is retained by two M8 bolts at the top, which also double up as mountings for the fairing subframe, and four M6 bolts at the bottom (two each for brackets on the lower corners).
Upper left-hand mounting bracket - also retains fairing subframe Radiator lower left-hand mounting bracket

I filled the radiator with a 50:50 mix of Bluecol and de-ionised water. That's a stronger mix than is needed in rainy England but the coolant also contains corrosion inhibitors so it seemed like it would offer more protection than a lower ratio might.
Filling radiator with Bluecol and de-ionised water DSC05164

I had fitted stainless collars around the ends of the hoses, under jubilee clips. With the system filled I noticed a slight leak from the hose which connects the rear of the cylinder block to the water pump. I removed the collar and then tightened down the clip more than I would normally do. The result was no more leak. I'll have to check all the joints come start-up, along with the oil plumbing I added for the oil temperature and pressure sensors.

No comments: