Thursday, September 17, 2015

Starting joy ... definitely no sprag trouble

I finished installing the rebuilt starter motor too late last night to get the carbs and tank back on. So, after work today, I set to doing just that. With the carbs off, I was able to test the starter with the engine cold but my problems were with a hot motor. So a hot test was my main concern today, after finding out if the engine would actually fire up when cold.

I didn't replace the rear bodywork in case I had to get the sprag clutch out so Ruby looks a bit strange today.  It was after dark by the time I was able to do this the images in these videos are poor. But it is the sound that counts here.

The first video shows the cold engine, with the water temp gauge on zero and the oil temp (right-hand digital gauge) its minimum possible reading, 25 degrees Celcius. The engine spins with gusto and, on the second attempt, Ruby fired up beautifully.



The second video shows the engine hot, water temp at about one third of the range and oil temp just over 70 degrees. Again, the starter spins really well and ignition is great. So I'm confident I've solved my problem and can get out on the road again.




Great!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I folks, I'm Giovanni Polegato from Italy.
I've bought in November 2015 a Trophy 1200 First Edition from Germany.
The bike had the frame number 000108 and the engine is 000112 .
The bike had 20000 km. The bike was well serviced, I've also changed the coils for a pair of Nology and the crank sensor position.

Change all the fuel liners and cooling system liners.
I've change also all the Mikuni internal parts (jets and diafrag).

The bike is stunning, in perfect order.
And thanks for all the tips and tricks on this blog.

Enjoy your T300

Giovanni

LeT said...

Thank you Giovanni. I hope you enjoy your Trophy 1200. The first edition is a very special motorcycle. I'd love to post some pictures of your bike on this blog. Let me know if you would be happy for me to do this. My bike is still in daily use, still putting a smile on my face. LeT

Giovanni Polegato said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Giovanni Polegato said...

It's a pleasure for me to sent you some picture of my Trophy. Thank you very much. Keep in touch. Giovanni.

Unknown said...

I sent the picture to you now.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Giovanni